National Cherry Day
We're talking all things cherries here at Coletta & Tyson on National Cherry Day including the benefits of cherry trees and how to make our Yorkshire Rascals featuring juicy glace cherries.
We spoke with our Horticultural Manager, Faris, about Cherry Trees. Here’s what he had to say about them:
“There are lots of benefits to having a cherry tree in your garden, they provide beautiful Spring blossom and edible fruit on many varieties as well as being a great source of food for native wildlife.
If you’re thinking about creating a Japanese garden this would be a firm choice, with the tree originating from Asia.
We have lots of patio size fruiting cherry trees available at the minute. They are grown on a smaller rootstock, which makes them ideal for small gardens or growing in containers.”
DID YOU KNOW? Sweet cherry pollination is done primarily through honeybees?
We then spoke to Lee, our Head Chef at The Old Glasshouse Café and he shared how to make our Yorkshire Rascal, available in the café and deli, featuring sweet glace cherries.
1, 150g Plain flour
2, 150g Self raising flour
3, 1tsp baking powder
4, 65g unsalted butter
5, 65g Lard
6, 1 Lemon zested
7, 1 Orange zested
8, 1tsp Cinnamon
9 1/2tsp nutmeg
10, 50g of the following sultana's, currents and raisin's
11, 50mls Double cream
12, 2 Eggs
13, 50g glacé cherries
14, 50g flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan assisted) and line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Sieve all flours and baking powder into a lard mixing bowl
- Add both butter and lard, rub into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Add sugar, zest of orange and lemon, cinnamon, nutmeg and all dried fruit and mix well
- Stir in the double cream and eggs until the mixture makes a dough and divide into 6 large rounds, place on the lined baking tray
- Egg wash the tops of the rascals and top with the glacé cherries and flaked almonds
- Put the tray into the preheated oven and bake for between 15 - 20 minutes. Once cooked remove and allow to cool slightly
- Best to serve with butter, jam and clotted cream.
We’d love to know if you made some! Tag us on our social media platforms @colettaandtyson with your bakes